The dream of farm ownership is a steep mountain to climb but Rebecca Harper met two motivated young couples with their sights set on the ultimate prize, working their way up through managing dairy farms and equity partnerships for MyFarm.
- Farm name: Westerfield Pastoral
- On-farm managers: Ben and Kelly Frederickson
- Total area: 130ha (113ha effective)
- Cows milked: 460 plus replacements
- Target production: 216,000kg MS
- Established as a MyFarm syndicate by six investors in 2009
Missing out on their OE and forgoing Christmas and birthday presents shows just how dedicated Kelly and Ben Frederickson are to their goal of farm ownership.
They are equity partners in MyFarm’s Westerfield Pastoral dairy farm in mid Canterbury, near Ashburton.
Neither is from a farming background and it was Kelly, 27, who discovered a love of dairy farming after visiting New Zealand.
At the age of 15 she left her family in Perth and moved to Taranaki to follow her dairy dream.Read More »